Wednesday 26 August 2009

We're home

My heart belongs to Antwerp... well, at least for the time being anyway! We had a wonderful weekend in this stylish, compact, historic and generous city.

One of the biggest highlights was our hotel, Boulevard Leopold.  I can't recall where I found their website, but I'm glad I did as it was the catalyst for me booking time off and the flights...  I absolutely loved the comfortable feel and perfect style of the house, which dates from 1890. I'd move in in a flash... if I could!















On the day we arrived, we found ourselves in the right neighbourhood and paid a visit to the very lovely Mieke Willems.  I could've spent hours browsing the shelves full of desirable goods in this small, but perfectly formed, store. I picked up some o-check design graphic check tape in red, a cute cloud pen and a cheerful pop-up clown card both from millimetermilligram, along with a copy of Bruno Munari's Roses in the Salad.









So many other things to see, do, eat and drink.  I'm already wondering when we can return...



Coffee with sugarless ginger bread at De Biologisch-Dynamische Bakkerij


Drinks and lunch at Kapitein Zeppos


Cathederal of our Lady




Delicious supper at Refectoire




Cherry beer Kriek


Botanical Garden


Chocolates by Günther Watté, salt & pepper caramel was my favourite


Copyright Bookshop


9 comments:

thisisnaive said...

If I'm going to Antwerp, I'll be following your beat.

Unknown said...

Me too! I want to go now. Great pics and really curious about salt and pepper caramel.

Sneaky Magpie said...

Looks like you had fantastic time, it's such a great city. The hotel looks very nice too. All the little cafes and even the word Bakkerij remind me of my life in Amsterdam! Le sigh...

read me... said...

I highly recommend Antwerp for a quick and easy get away... lots closed in August, but I liked the fact that restaurants and bars were quiet... but next time we'll plan our trip around what's on at the museums.

the hotel is lovely but outside of the popular areas, so it's a short walk to the places where you'll want to spend your time.

nath said...

oh my GOODNESS, that hotel (esp the bath), the shopping, the beer (you look very cute btw), my pulse rate just doubled.

mieke willems said...

oh that was you!! why didn't you tell so!! nice pictures! and i see you visited the bakery and refectoire, nice places!!

read me... said...

Nath... you're too sweet. I'm not very good at having my photo taken!

Mieke Willems... we thought that you're shop was wonderful and Antwerp too! Yes, wished I had said hello... am too shy!!

louise de Lima said...

You've completely inspired me to go there. I've wanted to go for ages, but the hotel has clinched it for me! Thank you. Lovely blog. I just found you through Sneaky Magpie.

read me... said...

louise, thank you for visiting read me... I can't recommend Antwerp highly enough!!