Saturday 22 March 2008

Joy of joys

I needed to pop in to town today because I wanted to pick up another set of grey dotty bedsheets from Cath Kidston.

Task completed, I made my way to one of my favourite coffee spots, Nordic Bakery, where I treated myself to a lovely cup of coffee and the best freshly baked cinnamon buns I've ever tasted. It was just out of the oven, and so was hot and soft and sweet and gooey in the middle, and deliciously crisp on the outside.




If this were not enough pleasure for one day, joy of joys, Nordic Bakery had for sale something which I have been dying to get my hands on for an absolute age... Tillmans of Sweden organic rhubarb cordial.



I bought some a few months ago from Raoul's Deli in Maida Vale, but it's a bit out of the way for regular visits. I absolutely LOVE it, and since then have not been able to find it closer to home...

Well this isn't strictly true. Living in London it's easy to fall in to the trap of paying over the odds for nicely packaged goods in cute independent stores, especially if the goods are hard to come by elsewhere.

A few weeks ago I spotted some bottles of this cordial in Verde & Co., a delightful grocery store and cafĂ© in Spitalfields. Can you believe they were asking £12.90 a bottle for it! I was so taken aback that I actually laughed at the shop assistant when he told me the price, which in hindsight was a little rude of me, but really... I ask you!! Don't get me wrong, I will still visit Verde & Co. when I am in the neighbourhood, as it does carry such an interesting range of food stuffs. I am after all a sucker for a nicely packaged box of tea, or paper wrapped delicacy, or...

Anyway, here's to Nordic Bakery for coming to my rescue!

No comments: